Welcome to the project BalkaNet
(IST-2000-29388) home page
The Balkan WordNet aims at the development of a multilingual lexical database comprising of individual WordNets for the Balkan languages. The most ambitious feature of the BalkaNet is its attempt to represent semantic relations between words in each Balkan language and link them together in order to develop an on line multilingual semantic network. The main objective is the development of each's languages WordNet from available resources covering the general vocabulary of each language. Semantic relations will be classified in the independent WordNets according to a shared ontology. Then, all individual WordNets will be organized into a common database providing linking across them. Each of the WordNets will be structured along the same lines as the EuroWordNet through a WordNet Management System. This project is an excellent opportunity to explore the less studied Balkan languages and combine and compare them cross-linguistically.
- Investigate the less studied Balkan languages.
- Create the possibility to expand the EuroWordNet by adding to it Wordnets built for the Balkan languages.
- Give access to the European community to new sources of information stemming from the Balkan languages that are not so widely studied.
- Facilitate access to information written in less studied languages.
- Create and strengthen ties with the academic and information technology community in Balkan countries.
- Create a common large-scale linguistic resource.
||Dimitrios N. Christodoulakis (Prof.)
COMPUTER ENGINEERING AND INFORMATICS DEPARTMENT
UNIVERSITY OF PATRAS, 26500 PATRAS, GREECE